the ZUMEL
Past The Velvet Rope
B-Town Boyz
Huffington Post
xkcd (webcomic)
NASCAR
Stile Project
Urban Dictionary
Wikipedia

Powered by Blogger

27 June 2006

mistranslation or paranoia?

i received an e-mail from someone today. the e-mail consisted primarily of one sentence: "You have stolen my thoughts."

i won't keep you in the dark, it's a mistranslation, but taken out of context, the paranoia factor is grand. i have to send something from site to another site in thailand. being the indian customs is so tough, there's a chance some customs fees may need to be paid in thailand. i can't do that, so i suggested i send them to the guy who arranged the transfer, and indian on the west coast, and he send them on to thailand. a lot less headache for me. and he replied with that sentence and an address. so "You have stolen my thoughts." = "you read my mind" in normal english.

reminds me of the first manager i had working for TheGeneral, a korean who didn't understand that beginning engineers might not have $1000 to throw in their pocket for overseas travel to be reimbursed later. he also had a poor grasp on english colloquialisms. i always joked that i should call my ombudsperson and tell them my manager was sexually harassing me. whenever he'd call me on the phone about a job or progress or whatever, more of then than not he'd end "feel free to touch me anytime." rather than "feel free to GET IN touch anytime". pervert.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

or maybe he really wanted to touch you...

1:42 PM, June 27, 2006  
Blogger themom said...

ya haveta love the language barrier. chuckle, chuckle.

XXXOOO

4:52 PM, June 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home